I successfully interfaced HT1632 chip with PIC mcu today. The data sheet does not contains that much literature. Because of that interfacing this module makes little harder.
youtube video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dAQV2urDHQ
Some of the blurb:
2416 Dot Matrix Red Display Information Boards is manufactured by Sure Electronics. It can be driven by SPI like interface. It can be easy interfaced to any microcontrollers. It can be widely used in panel meter, big clocks and any other information display usage.
It’s a memory mapping LED display board and driven by HT1632 LED display controller. The device supports 16-gradation LEDs for each outline using PWM control with software instructions. A serial interface is conveniently provided for the command mode and data mode. Only three or four signals are required for the interface between the host controller and the information board. The display can be extended by cascading the information board for wider applications.
* Size: 4inch×2.5inch display area.
* 2416 dot matrix on each board.
* LED emitting color is Red.
* Operating voltage and current: 5V, 350mA (Max.), 200mA(Avg.)
* 16-level PWM brightness control.
* Each board contains 6 pieces of 0808 LED dot matrix boards.
* Serial MCU interface—-CS, RD*(optional), WR, DATA.
* Cascading function for extended applications (up to 4 boards possible).
* Power can be supplied and command data can be transmitted by IDC sockets from microcontrollers.
* Auxiliary power supply terminal blocks may be needed when connected to next LED matrix board.
Sure Electronics Link >> http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=979